Fowler House

931 Leavenworth | Manhattan, Kansas

 

While newspaper articles cite this address as far back as 1892, the house standing today at 931 Leavenworth appears to not be the first located there. In 1908, a classified listing appeared stating, “A five room house … to be removed from lot. For rent if not sold. Inquire of H.A. Fowler.” What happened to the original house is unknown, including whether or not it was actually moved.

What is known, however, is that Mr. and Mrs. Harry A. Fowler were married in 1890. They lived on their farm until 1907, when they moved into town for the educational advantages of their son, Ira. In January 1915, they celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary at “their beautiful new home” at 931 Leavenworth. And, records show, for the next eighteen years, Eva and Harry Fowler continued to live in the home, renting to boarders — preferring “business gentlemen or married couples without children” — year after year, frequently hosting Congregational church events, and looking forward to visits from their son, Ira, and his family.

Thoroughly renovated in 2012, this Craftsman-style bungalow is full of architectural detail and retains nearly all of its original historic character. Carefully divided into three separate living units, residents of the Fowler House benefit from its ideal location halfway between City Park and the downtown district.

In 2013, the Fowler House was awarded the Commercial Maintenance & Preservation Award by the Manhattan/Riley County Preservation Alliance.

For Leasing Info

Capstone3D Development Studio
We create Space for Life.
5020 Anderson Ave. Manhattan, KS 66503
785.539.2273  |  info@capstone3d.com

Copyright © 2009-2019
Stakeholders